Skip to main content

Irr^ninp Camtottsii THIRD SERIES, No. XII.—OCTOBER, 1857. HISTORY OF RADNORSHIRE. By the late Rev. Jonathan Williams, M.A. No. IX. CASCOB. (Continued from page 248.) According to an inquisition taken on October 3rd, in the sixth year of the reign of Queen Elizabeth, (a.d. 1564,) by virtue of the Queen Majesty's commission, addressed to commissioners for the survey of the forest of Radnor, the parish of Cascob, in conjunction with those of New Radnor, Old Radnor, Blaiddfa, Llanfihangel-nant-moylyn, Llandegla, Llanfihangel-rhydieithon, is entitled to send cattle, &c, to be depastured on the forest of Radnor, on paying to the forester at the the rate of 2d. for every beast or cattle, and 3d. for every score of sheep^or goats. This parish is not distinguished by military positions. Its situation within the protection of the castle and garrison of New Radnor precluded all contention; consequently, no vestiges of ancient fortifications are to be found, nor even a tumulus of any kind, throughout the whole extent of it, except on the highest part, where it meets the boundary of New Radnor, where stands a beacon, or low mound of dark peat earth, called the Black Mixen. On several parts of the open commons are vestiges of ARCH. CAMB., THIRD SERIES, VOL. III. 2 U