Skip to main content

Jtittaafajght CamkmLi FIFTH SERIES.—VOL. VIII, NO. XXIX. JANUARY 1891. EWLOE CASTLE. BY T. B. DAVIES-COOKE, ESQ. (Read at the Holywell Meeting, August 19th, 1890.) After the Norman Conquest the English seem to have "been constantly at war with the Welsh. They had gained possession of some strong positions, and had castles at Hawarden and Mold, then called Mont'Alto, a translation of the British name Wyddgrug, still used hy the Welsh. As the English tried to get into Wales by Caergwrle (an old Roman station), Hope, Mold, Hawarden, and along the banks of the Dee, fights were very frequent. We find some of the Welsh princes at times siding with the English, while others were against them. It thus happened that in 1156, Cadwaladr, son of Gruff- ydd, and Madoc ap Meredydd, Prince of Powys, in¬ cited Henry II to devastate Gwynedd. Hearing of this, Owain Gwynedd assembled an army against him. In 1157 he sent his sons, Prince David and Prince Conan, to resist the King, who with his forces were allowed to become entangled in the woods and defiles of Ewloe, and in an action known as that of Coed Ewloe was utterly routed. At this battle were pro¬ bably present Eustace Fitz-John and Robert de Courci, 5th sek., vol. viii. 1