Skip to main content

girthratojp <&mlmmfa -j THIRD SERIES, No. XLVIIL—OCTOBER, 1866. CONTRIBUTION TOWARDS A HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF LLANTRITHYD IN GLAMORGAN. Llantrithyd is a parish of 1,390 acres, in the Vale of Glamorgan, and the hundred of Dinas Powis, forming a part of its western border. Its northern boundary, or very nearly so, is the Port-Way, separating it from Welsh St. Donat's. Llancarvan encircles it on the east and south. St. Hilary completes the enclosure on the west. The eastern side of the parish is occupied by a well-marked valley which commences below the park, contains the village, rectory, church, and ruins and demesne of the Place; after and below which, expand¬ ing and deepening towards the south-west, it terminates upon Flemingston Moor, and contributes a nameless brook to the Cowbridge Tawe. Of the land, 791 acres are pasture, 500 arable, and 100 acres wood. Of the soil, the northern part rests on the mountain limestone, and is good; the southern part is lias, and inferior. The whole of the parish is enclosed, and has probably been so from a remote period. It is not divided into hamlets. Llantrithyd village lies about the church, and that of Tre Awbrey at a short distance westward. The names recorded on the Ordnance Map are but few,— Tair Onen (or "three ashes"), which trees have been replanted by the Rev. R. T. Tyler; Pant-y-Lladron (or " the robbers' hollow"), speaking ill for the old police of the district; Garn, a farm-house; Tyfry, Tydraw, Gro- 3rt> ser., vol. xii. 27