Skip to main content

^rrltralflgia (Hamhrmk THIRD SERIES, No. XLVL—APRIL, 1866. NOTICE OF ANCIENT RELICS FOUND AT LLANGWYLLOG IN ANGLESEY. In the summer of 1854 a remarkable deposit of small relics of antiquity, chiefly of bronze, amber, and jet, was accidentally brought to light in the parish of Llan- gwyllog in Anglesey, in a little stream, one of the tribut¬ aries of the Cefni, a river which, after traversing the marshy district to the south of Llangefni, flows into the great Malldraeth estuary near the extreme southern promontory of the island. It is probable that at an early period the river may have been navigable for small vessels even to a considerable distance from the upper end of the Malldraeth Sands, where at the pre¬ sent time the waters of the Cefni flow into the sea. The parish of Liangwyllog is situated in the centre of Mona, and about a mile to the north of the old road to Holyhead. There are traditions of sanguinary con¬ flict in these parts. The parish church, although pre¬ senting no remarkable features, is not devoid pf interest, as we are informed by the author of the valuable series of papers in the Archceologia Cambrensis entitled " Mona Medigeva."1 The discovery above mentioned having See vol. v, third series, p. 171, where the south doorway of Llan- gwyllog Church is figured. The church is dedicated to St. Cwyllog, and supposed to have been founded by her in the sixth century. (Rees' Welsh Saints, p. 228.) Fragments of ancient crosses are to be seen in the churchyard. 3rj> ser., vol. xii. 7