ADMIRAL SIR THOMAS FOLEY. 103 in the 37th year of his reign to Sir Thomas Jones, Knt., and the Particular for the grant is in the Augmentation Office." Such are the words of a document recapitulating the results of a search made many years ago, amongst the records in the Augmentation Office, relating to the churches of Llansadwrn and Llanwrda, Carmarthenshire, in the former of which parishes Abermarlais is situated. In 1732 the estate was the property of Miss Letitia Cornwallis, whose name is still connected with charities in the immediate neighbourhood, and eventually, as has been said, was purchased by Captain Foley, in whose family it still remains. A description of the place, one of the most historically interesting residences in South Wales, is reserved for a later part of this sketch. The next occasion on which we find Captain Foley's name is in the month of July, 1795, still in command of the St. George, with the flag of Sir Hyde Parker, and still forming part of Admiral Hotham's fleet. The French fleet of seventeen sail of the line, and six frigates, under the command of Vice-Admiral Martin, or rather of M. Deputy Nion, as was sometimes the custom under the Republic, put to sea from Tendon on the 7th June. The British fleet, consisting of twenty-one sail of the line, being at anchor in the Bay of St. Fiorenzo, and Admiral Hotham having detached Commodore Nelson in the Agamem¬ non, she discovered the Toulon fleet, which immediately gave chase; but on looking into the bay discovered the British fleet at anchor, and turned their heads to the westward. On the 8th, at noon, the British fleet steered to the W. . Receiving information that the French had been seen a few hours before to the S. of Hyeres, Admiral Hotham threw out the signal to prepare for action, and made all sail to the S.W. A heavy gale during the night split the maintopsails of six of the British ships, and whilst bending new ones the French were descried about five miles off, endeavouring to escape. Signal was made for a general chase, and at noon the rear of the French bore three-quarters of a mile from the British van ; but the rearmost British ship was eight miles from its van. An engagement ensued between the three rearmost French ships and the three leading vessels of the British force; but whilst this was going on, and after the Alcide, seventy-four, had struck to the Cumberland, Captain B. S. Rowley, the Commander-in-Chief, fearing his van to be too near the coast, made signal to discontinue the action, and the French gained the Bay of Frejus. " There was a most beautiful manoeuvre," says a lieutenant of the Victory, " performed by the captain of the French frigate Alceste, stationed to windward of the enemy's line. Seeing the Alcide in distress, and dropping astern into our fire, she bore down right athwart her bows, lowered a boat, and attempted to send her on board the Alcide with a hawser in order to tow her