THE PLACE-NAMES OF DEVYNOCK HUNDRED III CANTREF & GLYN These papers are the third and fourth of a projected series forming a detailed study of The Place-names ofDevynock Hundred in the former County of Brecknock. The inclusion of Cantref (1.0) at this late stage results from lack of space in previous editions of Brycheiniog. Since preparing these papers there has been a revision, dating from 1986, of the 1:25 000 Ordnance Survey Maps which now appear as Outdoor Leisure 11 & 12: Brecon Beacons and cover most of the area of the old Hundred. As with the practice used throughout this project, it is encouraging to see that many of the 1986 place-name revisions have adopted the orthography guidelines recommended in A Gazetteer of Welsh Place-Names. Consequently, and whenever possible, these revisions have been included in these studies and noted with the abbreviation 1986 OSM. An Introduction describing the whole project will be found in Brycheiniog XXI, 73-6, with Abbreviations, Bibliography & Sources in XXI, 76-9 and XXII, 78. CANTREF (PART) 1.0 CANTREF: community from 1974; civil parish from c 16 cent to 1974; ecclesiastical parish from mediaeval times. (OSM, REL et al infra) Cantreff 1907 PEL 59 Parish of Cantreff 1841-81 Cens, 1615 DP Cantrev a parish formerly called Cynnedd 1833 TD, HBB 151 Cantreffe alias Cantref R. (St. Mary) 1786 PEL 59 parish of Cantref 1588 DP parish of St Mary and St Kendrick in Cantref 1565 DP parochia S'ti Kenedr de Kantreff 1514 Brych XVII, 24 Ecclia de Kened' c 1291 TE Cantref (cant + treJ) W, n.m., 'hundred, cantred, province, district' (GPC), originally containing about a hundred homesteads or large farms (EL 59). This unusual name for a com./par. probably originated in the time when SW Brec was known as Cantref Mawr (AB 38). The reference to Cynedd (supra) has a probable explanation in a theory put forward by T. Thornley Jornes (Brych loc. cit.) that many churches dedicated to St Mary (Cantref being one) had a second dedication to Cynidr (cf 1291, 1514, 1565 supra) and probably arose from their feast days coinciding (CPB 138) or the Norman Church finding the Celtic dedication unacceptable. Most of this par., some 15 miles long, lay outside the Devynock Hundred and the small section within the latter had the status of a chapelry or hamlet, hence: