1811 he obtained subscriptions from the residents of Brecon to set up the "Brecon Benevolent Schools". In four years two hundred and fifty boys and two hundred and fifteen girls passed through this school and received some education, which, to say the least, was better than nothing. He printed two volumes of his sermons. They are written in a simple and unaffected style. Two of the sermons are exhortations to his parishioners for more frequent attendance at the service of Holy Communion: Consider, my brethren, how often the exhortation to communicate has been addressed to you, how often Almighty God has issued his preremptory command, from festival to festival, and from month to month Half a century later the followers of the Tractarian or Oxford Movement were having difficulty in putting into practice a pattern of worship which Richard Davies had already established in Brecon. Richard William Payne Davies was Archdeacon of Brecon 1859-75. Born in 1806, he graduated from Worcester College, Oxford, and was Rector of Llan- gasty from 1833. He was also the squire of Cwrt-y-gollen. It was he who reas- serted the rights of the Archdeacon. Between 1859 and 1861 he visited every parish in the Archdeaconry, taking careful note of the state of the buildings and the conditions in the parishes. Then in April 1861 he asserted his visitorial right and summoned the clergy to his Primary Visitation. 10 He was succeeded by Henry de Winton, Archdeacon 1875-95. A scion of a noteable local family he entered Trinity College, Cambridge and was placed in the First Class of the Classical Tripos in 1846. He was also awarded the Browne Medal for a Greek Ode. He was an active Archdeacon, after the pattern of his predecessor. He was Rector of Llandrindod from 1881 and has been remem- bered particularly for some stirring events which took place during his incumb- ency. Besides the new church, Holy Trinity, built in 1870, there were two other small churches, Llandrindod old Parish Church and Cefnllys. The two little churches were virtually redundant and so the Rector had the roofs removed, leaving them as ruins. There was a storm of protest, even though it was admitted that no inconvenience had been caused for attendance had been minimal for a number of years; De Winton bowed before the storm and set in hand the rebuild- ing of these churches. William Latham Bevan was Archdeacon 1895-1907. Vicar of Hay from 1845, he lived in considerable style at Hay Castle where Francis Kilvert, the diarist, was a frequent visitor. Bevan was a good historian. He completed his Diocesan History of St Davids in 1888. He contributed to Smith's Dictionary of the Bible besides writing various pamphlets on church defence which was a burning issue at the time. Edward Latham Bevan succeeded his father as Archdeacon in 1907. Educated at Hertford College, Oxford, he was Vicar of Brecon 1897-1921, Suffragan Bishop of Swansea 1915-23 and Archdeacon of Brecon 1907-23. He then became Bishop of the new diocese of Swansea and Brecon, devoting a good deal of time