Village Life in Llanvihangel Crucorney (1) by Stanley James Bayley Born 30th September, 1901 at The Laurels, Ewias Harold, Herefordshire. My father. Luke Bayley, retired from his grocery businuess in Ewias Harold some time in 1905. He was born in 1838 and was about 20 years my mother's senior! I can well remember my days at home with my mother, whilst two of my sisters (Gladys and Marion) attended the school, where I later went, when apparently I was five years old. I know I hated it at first, but after a very short time I fell in love with the teacher, Miss Florence Powell (her father was landlord of the Sun Inn), and even to this day I can recall the smell of beer on her black satin apron. She just stayed on at the school as a 'pupil teacher' I think, but she was a great teacher, and all the infants loved her. Moved up to be taught by Miss Mafanwy Parry (Mrs. Preedy), then up to the higher class where Mrs. Luker was Head, followed by Mrs. Howell, who was Head when I left. The first Head was a Mr. Rogers, and the appointment of a woman Head was a new departure. I won a Scholarship to King Henry VIII Grammar School, Aber- gavenny, achieved no distinction there, and left to take an apprentice- ship with Richard Nevll Ltd., Ironfounders, Llanelly, Carmarthenshire. In 1918 I return to Llanvihangel, without finishing my time, due I think to the fact that inflation, then as now ,made things too difficult for my father to help with my support. Whilst in Llanelly I learned both to speak and understand Welsh, largely due to the fact that my landlady did not speak English. Unfortunately I have only retained a very limited knowledge of the Welsh language. Coming home I got a job as Postman, travelling from Pandy to Walterstone each day, commencing at 7 a.m. and returning at 5 p.m. A full day's delivery would entail a walk of about 20 miles. An extra two shillings a day was paid if the snow was more than two feet deep! The basic pay was 50/- per week. I thoroughly enjoyed this work, as it gave me plenty of time to read on my ways. It was not possible to cycle as the journeys were mostly over fields and lanes. My postbag was usually more full of 'local shopping' than official mail-the odd quarters of tea, sugar, cheese, etc. picked up on my way from Jarman's Shop in Pandy. Quite illegal of course. Never took any food with me as there was always hospitality at the various farms and cottages. In fact one Farmer (Widow Williams), New House Farm, intsructed me to call each day for a hot dinner irrespective as to whether there was mail for her or not, and as my route passed very near New House, there was no difficulty. An