hundreds of beautiful melodies have been salved by the efforts of its members. In these and the many others previously recorded is found the simple and unadulterated expression of the natural music of the Welsh people. Notwithstanding this achievement, there is plenty of work to be done, and members of the Society are still continuing to record new and interesting finds. A goodly proportion of these are published in the Welsh Folk Song Journal, which is periodically issued under the editorship of Dr. Lloyd Williams, to whose inspiration and enthusiasm the Society unquestionably owes its continued success. This journal is to be ob- tained on the payment of an annual subscription of 5s, and it will be found to be of absorbing interest to those who are really interested in Welsh music. Apart from the airs themselves, notes are added upon the examples which are of the greatest value and guidance to the student. Articles are also included of historical and literary interest, which will amply repay the trifling subscription demanded. This subscrip- tion also covers membership and admission into all meetings of the Society. While it is not claimed that all the airs salved and recorded are gems of the first water, they have their place and purpose in any cult of national music, and it can fairly be contended that the Society has brought to light a mass of material of unexpected wealth in form, mode and rhythm which demands the earnest attention of Welsh musicians. The fact that these songs have persisted in the national memory even unto these busy days is proof that there is in them some indefinable but precious quality which appeals to the Welsh temperament. Composers cannot afford to neglect them entirely, and singers are beginning to find that they cannot present anything that is more acceptable to the public. CAMBRIAN ARCH/EOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION. By Canon C. F. Roberts. THE Cambrian Archaeological Association owes its foundation in 1846 to the Rev. John Williams (Ab Ithel), Vicar of Nerquis, author of "Ecclesiastical Anti- quities of the Cymry," editor of "Annales Cambriae," "Brut y Tywysogion," etc., and the Rev. Harrv Longueville Jones, M.A., a 7th Wrangler, and an Inspector of Schools for Wales, who were joint secretaries. It was formed, the preamble to the Constitution states, "in order to examine, preserve, and illustrate, all Ancient Monuments, and Remains of the History, Manners, Customs, and Arts of Wales and its Marches." The four Welsh Bishops became patrons. Sir Stephen R. Glynn, Bart., M.P., F.S.A., ac- cepted the Presidentship, Local Secretaries were appointed for the Welsh Counties and the Marches, Contact was established with the Celts across the channel by the appointment of M. Didron, Secretaire du Comite Historique des Arts et Monuments, as Secretary for France and Brittany, and the enrolment of several men of note. The first list of members includes, the Marquis of Northampton, President of the Royal Society; Dr. Turnbull, Secretary of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland; Ambrose Poynter, Hon. Secretary of the Royal Institute of British Architects; J. O. Westwood, F.L.S. (author of Lapidarium Walliae), afterwards Professor; E. A. freeman, M.A., Fellow of Trinity College, Oxford, later Professor; W. Basil Jones, B.A., a future Bishop of St. David's; John Fenton, of Glyn Ammel, Pembs.; A. J. Beresford Hope, M.P.; Rev. E. Lowry Barnwell; C. C. Babington, afterwards Professor, joined in the following year. The Association ower much to Freeman, Basil Jones, Longueville Jones, Babington (Chair- man of General Committee 1854-1884) and Lowry Barnwell, for they nursed it from its infancy until it was firmly established. The latter, who was Headmaster of Ruthin School, gave it the sup- port of his time, for he was for awhile General Secretary, his pen and his purse. It is perhaps worth recording, that the connection between the School and the Association has continued from his day to the present time without a break, a period of 79 years. The late Archdeacon Thomas, Editor 1875-1880, 1884-88, Chairman 1884-1917, Canon Rupert H. Morris, D.D., Editor 1907-17, Canon Trevor Owen, Editor 1879- 92, Senior General Secretary 1879-1914, Rev. Chas. Chidlow, South Wales, General Secretary, 1890-1912, were all pupils of his and acquired from him their taste for Archaeology. The con- nection is still maintained by the present Head- master, Mr. E. W. Lovegrove, F.S.A., and the Senior General Secretary who was educated there. The first annual meeting was held in Septem- ber, 1847, at Aberystwyth, the second at Carnarvon, thus establishing a precedent, which has been generally followed ever since, that members should foregather in North and South Wales in alternate years. At Carnarvon, Dr. Todd, Dr. Stokes and Mr. G. Petre attended as the representatives of the Royal Irish Academy. At the same meeting the Officers of the Society of Antiquaries of Brittany and the Society of Northern Antiquaries of Copenhagen were elected Honorary Members. For many years the meetngs were attended only by a small number. The members were keenly interested in their work, and, with their lunches in their pockets, were ready to tramp, if it need be, long distances over rough country, to view places and objects they desired to examine and discuss. The days of cheap photography and 'process blocks' had not arrived, so each expe- dition was accompanied by a draughtsman who