Welsh Journals

Search over 450 titles and 1.2 million pages

The items listed below were recovered from the wreck on the first and subsequent days and this suggests that the Caesar did not break up in the first few hours and that many were drowned in the hold by the rising tide. Mr. Jenkins' information is that it was only a short time before the vessel broke in two and it did not last long after that. List of Ordnance Recovered Muskets 44 Damaged Muskets Barreles 31 Pieces Stocks for Muskets Barreles 10 Pistols 27 Swords 50 Scabbards 23 Bayonets 50 Musketoons 1 Pole Axes 7 Copper Hoop 20 Copper ladles for 4? 4 Iron Hoops 40 Among the witnesses of the grisly aftermath was John Voss, who is supposed to have recognised one of the weed-covered bodies as that of his assailant on Brynmill Sands. What a pity we cannot reconcile this piece of poetic justice with the fact that Lieutenant Gaborian survived! There is probably some truth in the story, however, because C. D. Morgan, according to Mr. W. C. Rogers, was a fairly reliable man and was as a boy a contemporary of the son of John Voss. On 6th December 1760 Adam Drake was lodged in Oystermouth preparing a letter to the Commander of the Customs House in Swansea. At Drake's request, William Shewen wrote to a Mr. John Cleveland at the Admiralty asking him to obtain instructions from the Lords' Commis- sioners. Someone somewhere had to approve of the expenditure of the Customs men in transporting the arms the ten miles to Swansea, as well as the payment of the Pennard men, and the arms were still at Pwlldu, rusting badly, at the end of January 1761. On 7th January 1760 Lieutenant Gaborian appeared again-as a prisoner facing a Court Martial aboard the man-of-war Duke in the Hamoaze, which is a stretch of water above Plymouth Sound, in which warships would lie at anchor. The President was Samuel Graves, the Captain of the Duke, and the twelve-man court took evidence from the survivors in order to establish the cause of the loss of the ship. They decided that it was an accident due to foggy weather and blamed the ship because she would not wear. It was established that the Lieutenant did not interfere with the steering and did all he could to assist the crew, and so he was acquitted. It is probable he was helped by a letter sent to the Admiralty by Captain Gordon, who blamed the pilot and described Gaborian as a vigilant and good officer in the impress service, and thought