Fig. 1.1. 1291, the church at Penant Mellagel was included in the smaller deanery of Mochnant which included the church Llanrhaeadr and its subsidiary chapels at Llangedwyn, Llanarmon and Llangadwalar, and the churches at Hirnant and Llangynog.1 The living of Pennant Melangell by this time was already divided between a rectory and vicarage. In 1535 the church at Pennaunt was included in the deanery of Pola et Carynyon (Welshpool and Caereinion). By the later 19th century the church fell within the newly-created deanery of Llanfyllin. 6Taxatio Ecclesiastica Angliae et Walliae Auctoritate P. Nicholai IV, (Record Commisson 1802), 286 7 Valor Ecclesiasticus temp.Henr.VIII,vol. 4, (Record Commission, 1821), 45 1. The name, Pennant Monocella [sic], appears with the date 1682 on the cover of NLW PennantParish Register.It appears to be one of the few instances where Monacella (the latinized version of the saint's name) was used in surviving parish records. D.R. Thomas, The History of the Diocese of St Asaph, vol. 2 (2nd edn, Oswestry, 1911), 260-66.