THE EFFIGIES The two effigies (fig. 6.2),7 brought inside the church and placed to the west of the door during the restoration of 1876/77, have during the most recent restoration been placed on new bases on the north and south sides of the chancel. Before the restoration of 1876/77 the male effigy lay within the churchyard, to the south of the the Cell-y-Bedd (see sketch by John Ingleby of 1795, fig. 5.7), but the siting of the female effigy at this time and the original siting of both effigies is unknown. Gresham has suggested that the male effigy at least was either originally free-standing within the church or perhaps against the south wall.8 The legs of the male effigy were allegedly damaged during an attack by Thomas Jones (vicar between 1757-82);9 further damage has been caused by the cutting of initials and the sharpening of knives on the stone. The female effigy has similarly been worn in places by the sharpening of knives. Male effigy The male effigy, dated by Gresham to c. 1315, is now sited against the north wall of the chancel. The accompanying illustration and the following description are taken from Gresham's Medieval Stone Carving in North Wales, which identifies the figure as Madog ab Iowerth.10 The inscription is placed round the edge of the shield where the first four letters are destroyed by later carving and the whole of the dexter side has been chipped away, thus removing the father's name; the remainder is clear and reads: (HIC ia)cet MADDOC: The name Iorwerth may have been legible in the 18th century and this may have led to the identification of the person commemorated with Iorwerth Drwyndwn, as is mentioned by Pennant, but his reading etu art was clearly based on what he could make out of the existing letters ETMADD. The figure (6 ft. 9 in.) lies on a slab (1. 7 ft. 0 in., w. 2 ft. 0 in.- 1 ft. 4 in.) with the head resting on two cushions, the upper diagonally placed, and the feet on a mutilated animal now headless, which is smaller than the usual lion and might be a wolf. The right hand holds the hilt of the partly drawn sword, and the scabbard is held by the left hand. A large shield [with lion rampant] covers nearly all the details of the body defences. The nose is broken and the features mutilated. The upper lip was apparently clean-shaven and the face has a youthful appearance with carefully arranged curly hair falling over the ears. There is no head-covering, which is unusual. The figure wears a hauberk with long sleeves to the wrist, but there is no detail of mail. and the neck is encased in a featureless collar. The end of a flowing surcoat hangs down to below the knees. the lower limbs being apparently covered in plain leggings of mail with straps for the spurs at the ankles. A broad strap over the right shoulder supports the shield, and two others the scabbard, the lower part of which is broken away. The hands seem to be uncovered. 7See also descriptions in Radford & Hemp 1959 op. cit. (note 4), 98-102, and C.A. Gresham, Medieval Stone Carving in North Wales: Sepulchral Slabs and Effigies of the Thirteenth and Fourteenth Centuries (University of Wales Press/ Board of Celtic Studies of the University of Wales, Cardiff, 1968), nos 169 and 220. See also illustrations in Archaeologia Cambrensis 3 (1848), 227 , reproduced in Hancock 1879 op. cit. (note 3), fig. opposite p. 178. 8Gresham 1968 op. cit. (note 7), 176. 9SeePart5, p. 118. 10Gresham 1968 op. cit. (note 7), no. 169, pp. 176-8. and fig. 75.