of Resurreetionem.' In that case some of this glass was in a window illustrating the Apostles' Creed co the resurrection of the body." The letters OS also appear, which may be the ending of mortuos (" the dead From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead "), or coelos (heaven-" Ascendit ad coelos-He ascended into heaven "). This glass was, apparently, until the 19th century in the east window of the north aisle. The tracery of the south aisle east window, it should be noticed, is of the description known as reticular." that is, net-like, so splendidly exemplified in the refectory at Chester Cathedral and the south transept of St. Asaph Cathedral. At this point attention may be drawn to an account of the church written by Sir Stephen Richard Glynne, brother of Mrs. W. E. Gladstone, of Hawarden, who paid a visit to the church in 1839. Glynne made notes on scores if not hundreds of churches all over the country, notes that are of great value because of their accuracy. This is what he says about Caerwys church (Arch. Camh. 1884, p. 84) This church has a west tower rude and plain, with battlement but no buttresses, and square headed belfry windows. There are separate roofs to the body and aisle, but no parapet. There is a pointed arch between the nave and chancel. The chan-el is divided from the aisle by wooden pillars supporting the roof. The east window of the chancel is of five lights plain perpendicular and contains some really good stained glass. There is another southern window which is decorated and of two lights the others are square headed and perpendicular, except one which is of two trefoil-headed lights. There is no distinction in size between the two aisles, and as often happens in Wales, it is not easy to say whi< h is the chancel. The northern chancel and the nave have a rude, open roof, the compartments filled with wooden quatrefoils. In the south chancel there is a much more enriched roof. At least the cornice displays bands of vine leaves and grapes, with pierced quatrefoils. Under the decorated window in the chancel is an arch in the wall, for a tomb, with elegant moulding and feathering." Having regard to that account of the church by Glynne, the changes effected since his day may just be noticed, although some have been mentioned already. First, the wooden pillars between the chancel and the parlour have been re- placed by stone piers and arches the roofs of both aisles are different, having been renewed the stained glass in the east window of apparently the N. aisle has been removed to the S. window of the chancel and the effigy has been placed in the recess in the S. side of the sacrarium. What Glynne says about the roof of the south chancel is of much interest. Its cornice, he states, displays bands of vine leaves and grapes with pierced quatrefoils." The cornice and quatre- foils in question are preserved in the east end of the church as a border to the wainscoting (made out of the old oak pews) along the east walls of the north and south aisles, and the backs of the choir stalls. It has been maintained, for example, by the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments in their Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Flintshire that the timber bearing the vine leaves and grapes formed part of the rood screen. That