A Miscellany. DOL-Y-CLEIFION, WELSHPOOL. In an old sale bill of freehold lands "situated in the parishes of Welshpool and Guilsfield, to be sold by auction by Thomas Howell, at the Oak Inn, Welsh- pool, in 29 lots, on September 30th, 1811," Lot 1 is described as "A piece of meadow land called Ddol-y-Clifins (?Clafins) situate about half a mile from Pool, and near the turnpike road from Pool to Shrewsbury, containing 4a. 2r. and 24p., be the same more or less, and now or late in the occupation of Edward Parry." This lot was purchased at the sum of £ 602 10s. od. (including timber) by Thomas Clarke, hatter, of Pool. The vendor's solicitors were Messrs. Pemberton and Coupland; the name of the vendor is not given, but the meadow was purchased subject to the condition That in case the suit in Equity brought by the heir at law of Sir Richard Corbett, Bart., deceased, shall be depending at the time fixed by these conditions compleating the sale, the vendor shall at his expense, if required by the purchaser, give such indemnity against the result of that suit as shall be thought proper by the Attorney General of the Chester Circuit On March 8th, 1849, the meadow was again offered for sale by the representatives of the late Thomas Clarke, under the name and spelling of Dol- y-Clivion, when it is described as a Parcel of Rich Feeding and Pasture Land, situate in the Parish of Guilsfield (near to the banks of the Severn), and adjoin- ing Lands belonging to the Earl of Powis, John Dickin and Pryce Lloyd Turner, Esquires. Mr. Robert Richards, in his recent work on Wales in the Middle Ages, « Cymru y Canol Oesoedd," states: From the 1 ith to the 14th Century the country was swept by leprosy, but by the 16th Century the scourge had been much abated owing to the preparations made to combat the disorder by the erection of hospitals. It is said that OwainCyfeiliog the founder of the old Abbey of Strata Marcella in 1170, also founded an Alms- house (Elusendy) at Dol-y-Cleifion, and which in after years was burnt down -owing to the licentious doings there. A place in the neighbourhood of Welshpool has borne the name of Dol-y-Cleifion for centuries- It appears from a number of wills of the Tudor period the old field always kept as a meadow, by that time had fallen into the hands of several different persons. Near to Cemmaes in Anglesey there is a place called Clafdy, or Lazar House,"