NOTES 1. With the exception of the administrative records of the RISW, its archive collection, together with its museum and library collections, became the Swansea Museum collection, under the Tripartite Agreement between the Royal Institution of South Wales, the Swansea City Council and the University College of Swansea of August 1991. 2. Sandra Thomas, George Grant Francis of Swansea, 1814-1882: Antiquary, philanthropist and civic dignitary (West Glamorgan County Archive Service, 1993). Available from the West Glam- organ Archive Service in County Hall (WGAS hereafter). 3. WGAS reference GGF El*. 4. The Cambrian, 23 May 1835. The Cambrian is available at the WGAS, Swansea Reference Library, Swansea Museum and the University of Wales, Swansea Library. 5. The surviving charters granted to Swansea are in the WGAS, reference B/S Corp A. 6. A series of leases of corporation property is held at the WGAS, reference EA 1. These are in a good state of preservation and seem to have been organised and numbered on several occasions. 7. Both quotations from WGAS B/S Corp B 11. 8. Note on the flyleaf of books bound by George Grant Francis, WGAS B/S Corp B 1-2. 9. WGAS B/S Corp A 5 and 6. 10. WGASGGFE2*. 11. This Charter Chest is now in the collection of Swansea Museum. It is currently on loan to the National Waterfront Museum, where it can be seen in a display about nineteenth century Swansea. 12. The Cambrian, 10 October 1865. 13. George Grant Francis, Charters Granted to Swansea (London, 1867). Copies of this publication are held at the WGAS. 14. Assuming that he was successful, this may be the pedigree book at the WGAS, reference GGF Bl.* George Grant Francis wrote that, 'This volume is made up of part of several collections of pedigrees, charters, surveys, other materials He estimated that it was compiled between 1606 and 1700, and we agree with those dates. 15. On 29 October 1840 George Grant Francis had married Sarah, daughter of John Richardson, who was a wealthy Swansea businessman and mayor in 1844-5. 16. Royal Institution of South Wales, annual report 1895-6, held at the WGAS. 17. Glen A. Taylor was another great collector of archives, and founder-member of the Neath Antiquarian Society; during the second quarter of the twentieth century he was to emulate in Neath what George Grant Francis had achieved in Swansea. The records he collected form the basis of the Neath Antiquarian Society collections, which are held at the Neath Mechanics' Institute, Church Place, Neath. These items form part of the Royal Institution Collections, which are in the process of being catalogued. Final reference numbers have not yet been allocated.