a young police officer came to my father and said, 'Don't let Elaine go to the Museum this morning.' They had found an unexploded bomb in the lower library! The reason I hadn't seen it was that it had fallen through the skylight and all the glass was on the table. The bomb was on the floor, it was a high-explosive one. I must have walked quite close to it, but because I was very small my weight was not enough to set off the trembler device. They took it out behind the garden to blow it up. The Evening Post got hold of the story and the headline was 'One Pound Saves Life' During the War we packed all the china up for safety, and it was taken to Dan-yr- Ogof caves. I know all the crates were nailed down because I helped to pack them, but I was told by someone who worked in the cave that in the 1950s, when they were collected to go back to the Museum, it was found they'd been opened. I'm sure some things must be missing. The archaeology went too, either there or to the tunnel under Mumbles cliff. I helped Mrs Williams pack it. I think the paintings went to the tunnel in Mumbles. The maps were rolled in the cellar, and I know there were a lot of paintings down there too and also model ships. I used to dread the front windows of the Museum falling in during the bombing, but they never did. The only bit of glass that broke was when that bomb fell into the lower library. One day they were clearing some bombed houses nearby gorgeous old Georgian houses. I said to Mrs Williams, 'Will you come and see into the basements of those houses, there are some arches I think you should see, I'm sure they're Saxon'. She came with me, and said, 'Those are Saxon arches, and there's something beyond them.' She said they mustn't be disturbed. Someone came from the University and watched while they were filled in, so that nothing was damaged. The notes about it are still in the University. They have been covered over now but they're still there. They must be under the traffic island at the bottom of Wind Street. There used to be a train that ran past the Museum. It came over the bridge, round past the Museum and then down towards the docks. It was a goods train. There was a wonderful Georgian house in Adelaide Street called Coleridge Chambers opposite what is now Morgan's Hotel, where the car park is. Somerset Place was all solicitors' offices. Mr Moy Evans had his offices there. He and his daughters lived in Earlsmoor, in Brynmill. There was a lovely old house behind the Museum Burrows Lodge. It had stables and everything, but they've destroyed it to build the Leisure Centre. If they'd left it, it could be part of the Museum now. The woodwork in it was beautiful. I remember seeing workmen burning the wood. I left in March 1943, when I was called up. I wanted to go into the WRNS, but I was sent to the Land Army. After the War I was offered my job in the Museum back, but my father needed me to help him in his business. It would have been nice though, there's a lovely atmosphere in that Museum. I really love it. Recorded 3 March 2005; transcribed by Jennifer Sabine.