was one of the Vaughan family of Llwynmadog in Llansantffraed, Co. Radnor; Miss Smith ran a school for girls and young ladies in Brecon). 3. Rd. Oliver came with £ 40 interest on the part of Archdeacon R. Davies. (This suggests that the Archdeacon was paying the interest on a sum of money he had borrowed from Captain F.) 4. Intense frost and some snow. The diary goes on, marking the 5th, 6th and 7th days of February without any comments and then ends without any word of explanation- not even a word such as END or FINIS. This is at first puzzling until one recalls that it was in early February, and probably the 8th, of the year 1777, that young Frederick Jones started keeping a diary when he left his parents' home at Pencerrig for his interview and examination at the East India Company's House in London, under the patronage of Walter Wilkins, esq., of Maesllwch of Glasbury. He set off on horseback with a family servant for Hereford, and thence by stage coach for London. and-following his acceptance by the Company-he soon set off with his cousin. Rice James, for Portsmouth to join a ship sailing around the Cape of Good Hope for Bombay, where he joined the Company's military service for what was to be a 10 years' experience in warfare in which he rose to the rank of Captain. And so Frederick Jones. with not much attention to style or manner. kept for 50 years a diary of the sort which has been described as 'a capricious hold-all in which one flings a mass of odds and ends'. but which rarely fails to throw an interesting and sometimes amusing light on public. family and personal affairs. Frederick lived on for another seven years in his Struet home in Brecon, where he died on 26 January 1834. the last of his generation of the Pencerrig Joneses. He was. at his own request. buried in the old Priory church of St John's in Brecon, and not-as one might have anticipated would have been his wish-in Caebach Chapel. near Llandrindod. and within sight of Trefonnen, the original home of the first Radnorshire Joneses. which had been built in the early 1700s by his maternal grandfather and where he himself had in 1810 had affixed to a wall of Caebach a marble family memorial with its coat-of-arms and motto. Thus, in his 76th year. Captain Frederick Jones was laid to rest near the place he had grown to love above all others-the beautiful Priory Groves sloping down to the lively Honddu stream rushing to meet the river Usk below.