SOME RADNORSHIRE PLACE-NAMES. BY W. A. J. WEALE, B.A. CRUG ERYR, CLUD, AC AERON. THROUGH a note made by a writer in Peniarth MS. 137, and the researches of Banks, Phillimore and the compilers of the Inventory of Ancient Monuments, Radnorshire, the site of Castrum Crukeri has been finally identified as Crug Eryr, the deserted mount-and-bailey ruin known to all who travel from Penybont to Llanfihangel Nant- melan. The note, translated to save space, runs as follows : Inon Sais dwelt in Krygeryr in a place that is called Tomen Krygeryr and he possessed all the lands on every side of it namely both sides of Kwm Llywenydd and all* Krygeryr his maerdy was at Ysglys y fan and there his women tended his cattle which pastured on the Fforest glyd and came to be milked in Ysglys yfan named above which place is called Baili Inon Sais to this day 1588." The name of a certain Llewelyn, descended from the Lord Rhys of South Wales, is that which is most closely associated with the place, but, as he was not a descendant of Einon Sais, he must have acquired it through his wife Eva, who was third in descent from Einon Sais. The writer goes on, in a further note, to make it clear that this was not Einon Sais of Brecheiniog but Einon Sais of Graig and of Fforest glyd and of Ysglys y van," whose ancestors were Hywel, Gruffydd, Goronwy, Gwrgenay, Hoydliw, Kadwgan, Elystan Glodrydd. It seems probable that Goronwy was in possession of Castrum Crukeri when Giraldus was a guest there in 1188. Lewis Glyn Cothi addressed five of his poems to members of this family, whose relationship is briefly shown in this table: Llewelyn Crug Eryr Llewelyn vychan Davydd Ieuan Ieuan (1) Steven JOHN (2) HYWEL (3) The first, Pwy gwraidd Maessyveidd "is addressed to Hywel (3), on his marriage to Sioned Havard. The second is addressed to John (2), and begins : There are no capitals and no punctuation in the original.