The discovery of a Norman Chapel at Treguff need occasion no surprise, for the site was the seat of a monastic manor or grange which was granted by Robert Fitzhamon in c. 1100 to the Abbey of St Peter's, Gloucester.1 After the Dissolution the property passed to the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester who leased it to a cadet of the Bassetts of Beaupre, builders of the present house.2 Traces of a large rectangular enclosure incorporated in paddocks surrounding the house doubtless define the boundary of the monastic grange. Levelling of uneven ground to the south of the house (ST 0311 7095) brought to light the remains of a circular limekiln of drystone and earth construction. The kiln had three flues connecting with the base of the pit. No datable material was recovered, but the primitive plan probably indicates a sixteenth- or seventeenth- century date for the kiln. H. J. Thomasfor RCAHM (Wales) NOTES C.A.H. Green, Notes on Churches in the Diocese of Llandaff '(1906), pp. 35, 37-8, 68- 9. 2 RCAHM, Glamorgan Inventory, IV, pt.I, The Greater Houses (1981), pp. 146-50. Walterston Farm, Llancarfan, near Barry (ST 0682 7118) An archaeological watching brief was commissioned by V. J. Thomas and Son Ltd. following their submission of a planning application for the construction of a concrete farm manure store, about 34m. in diameter, at Walterston Farm, Llancarfan. Part of the site is scheduled as an Ancient Monument, and is described by the RCAHM (Wales) as a small ringwork castle of medieval date similar to the better-known example at nearby Llantrithyd. An evaluation conducted in 1994 provided only slight archaeological evidence and Scheduled Monument Consent was granted with the condition that a watching brief was maintained during construction works. Stripping and bulk excavation of the area of the manure store revealed three archaeological structures, two linear features and a stone-built drain. One feature, a ditch, measuring 6.25m. in width at the surface and 1.4m. deep, appears to have formed the western side of the twelfth-century ringwork defences and ended at the natural low scarp to the south. On the south side, just below the scarp, an east-west linear feature may have formed part of the southern defence of the ringwork. No