THE VENERABLE OWAIN WILLIAM JONES [1921-1995] D T W Price Owain William Jones, a native of Merthyr Tudful and the son of a teacher, was born on 9 September 1921. He entered Lampeter in 1940 from Cyfarthfa Castle Secondary School in Merthyr, and showed his ability as a historian by gaining a first in the intermediate examinations in 1941. His sense of duty to his country was shown by his joining the Royal Tank Regiment in 1942. He returned to college in 1945 to complete his degree course, and he took his BA in 1946 under the regulations for those who had served in the war. He then moved to Selwyn College, Cambridge, where, as scholar and prizeman, he was awarded a first in theology in 1948. After spending a year at St Michael's College, Llandaff, Owain was ordained and served a curacy at Roath before returning to St Michael's as chaplain in 1953. In 1957 he went north to be warden of the Church Hostel at Bangor, where he remained for five years. At Bangor he also lectured in theology in the University College of North Wales and he held the post of warden of ordinands for the dioceses of Bangor and St Asaph. Then followed an incumbency at Builth, during which, and later, he served as bishop's chaplain for post-ordination training and on the Standing Liturgical Commission of the Church in Wales. He was appointed a canon of Brecon Cathedral in 1969, precentor in 1975, and treasurer in 1976. Between 1971 and 1978 he was rural dean of Builth-Elwell. His nomination as archdeacon of Brecon in 1978 led to his leaving Builth in 1979 for the smaller parish ofNewbridge-on-Wye. He joined the Doctrinal Commission of the Church in Wales in 1980. In 1983 he became full-time archdeacon of Brecon. Four years later he was offered the post of full-time archdeacon of Gower in the south of the diocese. He accepted the office largely because of the possibility, soon realised, of teaching at the