first decade of the nineteenth century in substantial land purchases in the township of Ceulan-y-maes-mawr, in land enclosures in the vicinity of Borth bog, and in trusteeships of turnpike and harbour trusts. Matthew Davies's other daughter, Anne, had married the previous year, to Isaac Lloyd Williams and it appears that both young women continued to live at Cwmcynfelin and baptised their children from there, sometimes in a joint ceremony. Lewis Davies seems to have brought relatively little property to the marriage. His father's will had left him Gwayn-gay (Gwaungau) in the parish of Llanbadarn Fawr, and £ 200. By 1812 he had inherited two farms, Cyneiniog (a large sheepwalk) and Brynfedwenfawr in Llanfihangel Genau'r-glyn, Ceulan-y-maes-mawr.5 By 1815 he had also purchased the tenanted farm of Llettyrgegin in Llanychaearn.6 He was, however, a career soldier who had become a Lieutenant in the 31st Foot in 1794 and served under Sir Ralph Abercrombie in the West Indies in 1795, and was wounded during the capture of the island of St Lucia. He rose to Captain in 1796, and to Major in the 36th Foot in 1800.7 For most of his married life he remained domiciled at Cwmcynfelin, though in 1822 and 1824, by now a Colonel, he rented Plas Penglais from Roderick Richardes. The Cwmcynfelin heiresses both promptly became pregnant and named their firstborn sons Matthew, which must have been confusing. Matthew Davies Williams, (son of Anne) was bom in 1800, and Matthew Davies (son of Jane) in 1801. Anne produced a further three sons, Jonathan (b.1801), Isaac (b.1802) and Charles (b.1805). Jane bore two more two sons, Lewis Charles (b.1803), and John Maurice, and a daughter, Jane Anne (b.1805). Not to be outdone, Anne, whose daughter was bom in 1807, named her Jane also. Lewis Davies's military career continued through the Napoleonic wars. It is recorded that he served in Holland under the Duke of York, on the shores of France under Sir John Pulteney, and was three times in the Mediterranean.8 In 1806 Lewis Davies was abroad once more, with Lord Cathcart in Hanover, then with the Duke of Wellington in Portugal, with Sir John Moore in Spain, and with Lord Chatham in Flushing. By 1812 he had the rank of brevet colonel in command of the 36th Regiment under the Duke of Wellington, and he was decorated for his part in the Battle of Salamanca. Possibly injured, he retired on half pay at the close of 1814, and was made Companion of the Bath in 1815.9 On 27 May 1825 he was promoted to