picked up in a couple of months, he brought Samuel Williams to Aber- ystwyth. Between 1809 and 1812, the joint imprint of 'James and Williams' appears on a number of books, especially hymn-books and religious writings. In fact, John James was himself a hymn-writer. James withdrew from the partnership in 1812. His biographer, John Evans, states that he sold out to Samuel Williams at a considerable loss and that he had reason to complain about his partner. He goes on to say that Mrs. James supplemented the family income by taking in visitors in the summer months, until the family left Aberystwyth in 1817. The alle- gation that Samuel Williams had behaved dishonourably towards his partner is difficult to accept for it appears totally out of character for a man who was respected as a deacon in the Tabernacle Methodist Chapel. It seems far more likely that John James withdrew from the printing busi- ness when the pressure of ministerial duties increased with Samuel Breeze's departure to Newcastle Emlyn in March 1812. He continued working as a bookbinder and it is as 'Bookbinder' that he is usually entered in Samuel Williams's sales-book, though he is also entered as 'Baptist Minister'. The fact that he patronized his former partner increas- es one's doubts about the alleged souring of their relationship as inti- mated by John Evans. From 1809 to 1812, Samuel Williams operated from 47 Bridge Street. When his partnership with John James broke up, he moved to the premis- es known as 'Smugglers House' at the corner of Bridge Street and Prin- cess Street. In 1816 he moved again, to 9 Bridge Street. The sales-book (NLW MS. 2844E) came to the National Library of Wales with the papers of David Samuel (1856-1921). It is a folio volume of 439 pages, which has been repaired and rebound by the Library's binding and conservation staff. It covers the years 1816-1840. Samuel Williams died on 28 November 1820 at the early age of 38. The business passed to his wife Esther (nee Edwards), who took her son Philip into partnership in 1847. Esther died 10 years later and Philip continued in business until his own death in 1877. In the sales-book there are tantalizing references to other records kept by the establishment: 'the new Ledger', the 'Day Book' and the 'Job Book'. It is a pity that a complete archive has not survived, as is the case with the firm of Gee of Denbigh. Entries were made (for the most. part in the same hand) on a daily basis, starting on p. 19. Later accounts have been entered on what were preliminary blank pages. The handwriting changes around September 1820; there is so much uncharacteristic confusion in the entries at the end of 1820 that it is difficult to give an exact date for the change. Samuel