SOME ASPECTS OF THE HISTORY OF ABERYSTWYTH II 'THE BRIGHTON OF WALES REFERENCE has already been made to the rapid growth of Aberystwyth during the late eighteenth century, growth which occurred almost entirely within the boundaries of the old town. The first to go outside the line of the old walls was Dafydd Jenkins y Nailer,' an ironmonger and nailmaker who was granted a lease of a piece of ground 33 ft. by 51 ft. in 1797 for 99 years at 5s. per annum. 'John Williams Sadler' was given the next piece and Evan Humphreys, Mariner, the third plot. Once started, building proceeded rapidly but the name North Parade was not given to the street until about 1815.2 Jenkins built his house below the Old Gaer or old town wall on a site now occupied by the National Provincial Bank. The reasons for the movement out of the town were partly lack of suitable building sites inside the walls and partly the desire of the well-to-do to move away from the dirt and squalor that was Aberystwyth at that time. In 1804 town scavengers were still being fined for allowing dunghills to be made in the streets but in that year the town authorities seem to have made a determined attempt to clean up the streets.3 John Davies of the Gogerddan Arms was appointed scavenger with responsibility for a definite beat' and three others were similarly appointed to ensure that other sections of the town were kept clean.4 This was a great improvement on the old practice of appointing as scavengers prominent men who were too busy to see that the cleaning was done." In 1808 eight scavengers were appointed and the town benefited accordingly. Bridge Street and Weeg Street in time became handsome streets,' the latter being the shopping centre, the 'Regent Street of Aberystwyth,' and the former the street where the local gentry had their town houses. At the corner of Bridge Street and Mill Street stood the Penglais house occupied in the early nineteenth century by Roderick Richardes. No. 46 was owned by the Carrog family and was occupied at this period by the Reverend Thomas Richards who did so much to establish both the National School in 1819 and the Savings Bank in the town. Later the occupant was a Dr. Snell who came to Hafod with the Duke of Newcastle and worked successfully for years among the lead miners of Pontrhydygroes. Across the road was Ty Dr. Rice Rice Williams, a physician and surgeon and coroner for North Cardiganshire who was said to be the last of Meddygon Myddfai,' a family of physic- ians of very ancient lineage. The Gogerddan house is now the Welsh Gazette offices and the Nanteos town house was further up the street.