Cambridge before 1578 because of his vast knowledge of the Biblical languages as well as his friendship with John Whitgift, extending back over a fairly lengthy period. Furthermore, the whole process of translation needs to be placed against the background of a new Protestant order striving for recognition against serious obstacles. Far more factors, both internal and external, militated against its acceptance in such a conservative and ill-endowed country where Roman Catholic sympathies were much stronger than is sometimes realised. The emphasis in this volume is laid principally on Morgan's scriptural sources rather than on the broader political and religious issues which often unnerved the Anglican church at a time when the scriptures were considered to be an essential component in establishing its success. Dr. Thomas's work-both the Welsh and English versions-should prove to be of immense value to sixth-form pupils and undergraduates who wish to acquaint themselves with the growth and development of Protestant tradition in Wales. J. GWYNFOR JONES Cardiff AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT MONUMENTS IN GLAMORGAN. Vol. IV. Domestic Architecture from the Reformation to the Industrial Revolution. Part ii: Farmhouses and cottages. By the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments in Wales. H.M.S.O., London, 1988. Pp. xviii, 662; 100 maps. Hardback £ 47.00. By any standards this Inventory must be acclaimed as a superior work, stoutly bound and wrapped in a colourful dust-jacket, beautifully printed, and lavishly illustrated with delightful scale plans, and section perspectives and cutaway reconstruction drawings. Its publication marks the completion of the account of domestic architecture of Glamorgan, ranging from the middle ages to the early years of its industrialization. The previous volume (Vol. IV, Part i), The Greater Houses (1981), dealt with the secular dwellings of the gentry from c. 1500 to 1800, while the present volume describes the houses of the minor gentry and tenant farmers during roughly the same period, noting some 1,136 monuments. The Inventory of monuments in this volume is preceded by an introductory historical survey wherein are explored, in some detail, 'the social background as well as the agricultural and economic basis' for the original buildings in an attempt to relate them to 'the wealth, farming methods, population trends, and social structures of the period'. The Historical Survey is followed by a brief Architectural Survey which discusses building materials and building types. Then follows the Maps of Building Features and the Illustrated Inventory which 'covers Glamorgan generally on a typological rather than a geographical basis', but includes separate sections relating to the parishes of Cowbridge and Llantwit Major. This arrangement may be justified partly because it is intended to extract the entries for Cowbridge and Llantwit Major for separate publication, and partly because they present distinctive units, especially Cowbridge which is the only town in Glamorgan to have retained a significant number of its pre-industrial archaeological heritage. A final section examines a representative