of Abergavenny a supervisor of excise, and Richard Bevan, both of whom were in practice in the 1780s. Dr Richard Bevan junior of Gelligaled, Neath, pioneered a tramroad from Dinas to the Neath Canal in 1799, his brother John being associated with him in this enterprise. Both brothers were magistrates, and Richard was a deputy-lieutenant of the county. Bew, William. Freeman of Cardiff (1789), Sergeant at Mace of the Corpor- ation (1792 and 1795), and a churchwarden at St John's, Cardiff. Bew's multi- farious appointments included those of bailiff of Kibbor, searcher at the Car- diff Custom House and supervisor of workmen on the Cardiff Castle estate in the 1790s. Biedermann, John William (1767-1831), land surveyor and cartographer, of Tetbury, Gloucs. The son of H.A. Biedermann of Blankenburg am Hartz, he became a naturalised British subject in 1804. He and his son, John Edward Biedermann, worked extensively in England. In South Wales they are known for their valuation of the Merthyr Mawr estate and as agents to the Kemeys Tynte family of Cefn Mabli (q.v.). Birt family of Wenvoe Castle. Peter Birt of Armin, Yorkshire, purchased Wenvoe Castle from the Thomas family in 1775, and rebuilt the mansion house. He died in June 1791 and was buried at Wenvoe, having been prede- ceased by his wife (1787), his son Peter (1788) and his daughter Mary, the wife of John Richards of Cardiff (1790). Of Peter Birt's surviving daughters, Ann married Robert Jenner of Doctors' Commons (q.v.), Jane married John Price of Llandaff and Llandough-juxta-Cowbridge (q.v.), and Judy married Sir John Nicholl of Merthyr Mawr. Blannin, John Cardiff Street Commissioner (1785) and a freeman of Cardiff (1787). Blannin was associated with William Prichard in a scheme for rebuild- ing a ruinous house near the quay, and was proprietor of a yard in Cardiff for the storage of iron brought down from the Merthyr ironworks. He was also the owner of vessels engaged in the shipment of iron. Bradley, John Bradley was an innholder and mail contractor, and was John Bird's predecessor as postmaster of Cardiff. Proprietor of the Angel Hotel, where he ran livery stables, and later of the Cardiff' Arms Inn which became Cardiff's main posting inn and hostelry, he was also a substantial tenant of the Bute estate, leasing Splott farm, Adamsdown and Whitmore farms and land at Cathays. Bradley's Lane (off Park Place) derived its name from the family's Crockherbtown residence. Bute (Stuart) family. John, 1st Marquess of Bute (1744-1814). The son of the 3rd Earl of Bute (George Ill's prime minister), he was known during his father's lifetime as Lord Mountstuart. He was granted the title of Baron Cardiff in 1776, and on his father's death in 1792 he became 4th Earl of Bute. On 21 March 1796 he was granted a marquessate enjoying the titles of Viscount Mountjoy, Earl of Windsor and Marquess of the County of Bute. He was lord lieutenant of