and was made a burgess of Carmarthen at Cawdor's instigation by 1818. While Abraham lived the life of a country gentleman at Corston, John took over his father's role as an homme d'affaires. Early in life he acted as agent for his uncle, Dr Hugh Thomas, who owned property in Tenby, and as co- executor to his late uncle David Allen of Dale. In 1809 and 1811 he and his brother-in-law Charles Tyler lent Lord Cawdor money (Cawdor 1/132). When in 1816 Lord Cawdor and Sir John Owen decided to bury the hatchet, Sir John showed his sense of the respectability of John Leach and his brother by informing his erstwhile opponents that he had no objection to the Leaches attending corporation meetings at Pembroke (Cawdor 1/225 Sir John Owen to J. P. Adams, 16 March 1816). When that summer an armistice was agreed, Leach at once wrote to congratulate Lord Cawdor on the pacification of the county that must follow, 8 August 1816 (Cawdor 1/225). John Leach was provided for by his father in the latter's lifetime. On 1 December 1801 Abraham Leach bestowed on him by deed of gift houses in East End, Pembroke town, and Leach's Yard (next to the bridge leading into Pembroke town from Pembroke ferry) as well as lands at Blindwells, Wolf- spark. David's Lake, Back Hay and Wood office, Narberth, (on some of which Abraham had paid Land Tax in 1786) and Crunwere and Rhydgoch in Crunwere parish. (Corston Deeds 1770-1820 No 170). It will be recalled that John acquired at his father's death in 1811 his leases in Pembroke town and Monkton, as well as his personalty and the residue of his estate. In 1818 John Leach acquired by purchase premises occupied by William Llewellin, cooper in Pembroke (deeds nos 184, 185, 190). He was one of the three sur- veyors of highways paid by the Navy Commissioners, after the transfer of the naval dockyard from Milford to Pater, to repair the road from Pembroke to Pembroke Dockyard (deed no 183). That Leach was highly thought of by the neighbouring gentry is suggested by his being repeatedly entrusted with the executry of their estates: in 1820 he was involved in winding up the affairs of the late John and Eleanor Lloyd of Dale Castle. On 3 November 1820 Leach bought Rigman's Hill, Crunwear from Walter Rice Howell Powell. His account with Coutts' bank in 1821 showed assets of £ 3,354 and liabilities of £ 2,106. On 21 and 22 July 1835 he bought the Narberth property of John William Russell, shopkeeper of Pembroke for £ 525, Russell having mortgag- ed it to Leach for £ 390 three years before; and in December of the same year he bought premises from the corporation of Pembroke on long lease for £ 274. John Leach married at Tenby on 15 June 1824 Charlotte, widow of Frederick Gilchrist of the East Indian Company service. Their marriage licence of 10 June describes her as of St. Mary, Tenby, widow. Born on 15 December 1790, she was the youngest of three children of George Elliot of Calcutta and an Indian lady named Meriemnisse, provided for in his will in 1794, and then described as proceeding to England, their father having married. She was the granddaughter of George Elliot, surgeon of Laugharne, son of the Rev. Philip Elliot, of St. Botolphs, Pembs, rector of Treffgarn and Rudbaxton. John Leach died at Pembroke on 11 August 1837 in his 73rd year, leaving her with two young children, John and Helene. She lived on at Pembroke until 9 March 1879 (surviving her son) and her will was proved on 18 April 1879 by her son-in-law Thomas Brook of Tenby, his wife being the sole beneficiary. John Leach of Pembroke, by his will, made at Bath on 25 May 1837 and proved in PCC on 8 December that year described himself as of St. Mary, Pembroke, esquire. He left his widow Charlotte £ 100 for her immediate use,