these rural factories, all the processes of woollen manufacturing from dyeing the raw material to fulling and pressing the finished cloth were carried out. They were completely different from the mills of the principal manufacturing districts of Wales, for their owners were often part-time craftsmen who ran the mills in conjunction with small- holdings. The Sylvania Factory, Llanglydwen for example, was run in conjunction with a twenty acre farm, and the owner of the Cwm Isaf Factory, Mynachlogddu was also the owner of an adjoining thirty acre holding. In the Severn Valley in Montgomeryshire and the Teifi Valley in west Carmarthenshire on the other hand, woollen manu- facturers were concerned primarily with supplying the English and foreign markets with flannels, and those districts resembled the West Riding of Yorkshire. Good rail and canal connections were essential for them, but as the Pembrokeshire woollen manufacturers were not dependent on this export trade, the factories were often located in isolated valleys well away from the roads. A report on the Farthings Hook Mill, Clarbeston Road for example, says, 'The mill is approached from a third grade road and about 500 yards trek across a field, which during a rainy spell must be in the nature of a swamp'. The following is a very incomplete list of those factories that were in existence during the early years of the present century. FISHGUARD Lower Town. A pandy and weaving shop. BETHABARA Glanyfferri MYNACHLOGDDU Cwm Isaf. Run in conjunction with a thirty acre smallholding. In the 1940s their products-tweed, knitting yarns and flan- nel were sold at Fishguard market. MYNACHLOGDDU A weaving factory. CLARBESTON ROAD Farthing's Hook Hill. Established 1847, ceased production 1943. CLUNDERWEN Glandy Factory. Run in conjunction with forty acre farm. Products sold locally or at Crymych fair in the 1930s. Main pro- ducts-carthenni, knitting yam. CLUNDERWEN Gelli Mill. Ceased production 1938. GLANDWR Pantygafel Mill. Established 1650. Main products 1930s-heavy tweeds, knitting yarn, blankets. LLANFYRNACH Star Factory. Established 1888. Main pro- ducts-carthenni. In the 1940s attended the monthly market at Crymych. NEVERN Pantygraig. WHITECHURCH Pantyglazier-weaving only. SOLVA Weaving shop.